WE ARE For rescuing & rehoming.
WE ARE For safe refuge.
WE ARE For affordable vet care.
WE ARE For supporting our community...
WE ARE SCAR.
Will you join our lifesaving team?
Shelter Office Manager
- Full Time Or Part Time Available
- Posted July 2023
Who We Are:
Second Chance Animal Rescue (SCAR) is a non-profit animal shelter whose mission is to not only rescue, rehabilitate and rehome homeless animals, but to also create community-focused solutions, aimed at keeping pets in homes and out of pounds.
SCAR established Hume City Council’s first ever Animal Shelter and Community Animal Hospital which offers training and grooming services, cat boarding services and much more. We run proactive community outreach programs aimed at keeping pets in homes with the owners who love them, including but not limited to mass subsidised cat desexing events, subsidised and low-cost vet care to at-risk patients, and emergency animal boarding.
We are currently looking for an experienced and adaptable person to join our passionate team as our new Shelter Office Manager. If the following describes you, we want you to apply!
This position has a strong focus on creating and maintaining a culture that is supportive, empowering, and focused on innovation and best practice. The Shelter Office Manager oversees the personal development and work processes of a team of shelter staff and provides extensive leadership, oversight, and long-range planning to ensure that all areas of our shelter are operating at the highest standard possible.
This is an important role within our organisation that requires a can-do attitude and excellent time management skills. They will interact closely with many different people and departments, so must be approachable, friendly, and upbeat. The Shelter Office Manager supports the mission, goals, and philosophy of SCAR.
The right person will have extensive management/leadership experience and understand the importance of having compassion and empathy when interacting with people, harbouring respect for both animals and people, as well as having an intrinsic concern and affection for animals.
Reporting directly to the CEO, this position will generally be required to:
- Monitor and manage overall organisational compliance in terms of government legislation, compliance, policies, and procedures.
- Develop and implement operational plans, and contribute to policy, and procedure development to ensure smooth and efficient processes.
- Monitor and analyse operational performance indicators to identify areas for improvement and implement corrective actions.
- Collaborate with external service providers, government agencies, and other organisations to facilitate seamless coordination of services and continuity of care.
- Identify opportunities for revenue growth and cost optimisation while maintaining service quality.
- Participate in performance improvement processes and related HR functions.
- Act as a point of escalation in the resolution of client and staff complaints to maintain good client and employee satisfaction levels, the retention of clients, and to maintain and enhance the reputation of SCAR as a quality animal welfare service.
- Build and maintain effective relationships with key stakeholders, including SCAR clients, volunteers, and relevant community organisations, and market SCAR services within our areas of operation.
- Uphold SCAR's values and mission statement during interactions with the public and team members, adhere to its policies and procedures, greet clients in a courteous and welcoming manner.
- Provide basic, SCAR approved information to the public regarding general animal care advice to the public, or pass on to appropriate departments where required.
- Assist with the supervision and training of new staff.
- Facilitating regular shelter team meetings.
- Organising regular training opportunities for the team.
- Ensure the values, vision, and direction of the shelter team are met by leading by example and via effective communication with staff and volunteers.
- Facilitate WHS reviews every 6 months.
To be successful in this role, you would ideally have:
- Strong work ethic, leadership skills, and ability to manage, inspire, and drive a busy team.
- Bright and engaging personality with professional communication skills.
- Minimum 3 years proven management and HR experience.
- A positive, can-do attitude and willingness to extend your knowledge base in the animal welfare and human support frameworks.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office and ability to adapt quickly to alternate software programs.
- Superior problem solving and time management abilities.
- Strong customer service skills, and the ability to remain compassionate whilst under pressure.
- Dedicated and highly motivated.
- Superior communication skills- both written and verbal.
- Understanding of WH&S issues relevant to an animal facility.
- High degree of emotional maturity and a non-judgmental approach.
- Previous experience working in this role (or equivalent) in a shelter or animal facility.
- Experience using the ShelterBuddy system.
- Advanced IT skills are very helpful.
- Current Working with Children's Check.
- Current First Aid Certificate.
It is a great time to join SCAR! We are at the start of a new strategic planning cycle, and our direction is looking exciting!
- A stable and permanent opportunity.
- Flexible working hours (school friendly hours also available).
- Work/life balance is incredibly important to us.
- Staff discounts on products and services.
- Access to our Employee Assistance Program.
- Being a part of a passionate and dedicated team.
- Opportunity for you to make your mark and a difference in the lives of those (both animals and people) who need it most.
This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related duties required by their supervisor. A full job description and duties list is also available on demand. This can be a Part-Time role (3 days) or Full-Time role (5 days) for the right person.
If you have the drive, experience, and passion that we are looking for and would love the opportunity to shine in our growing organisation, please apply today!
Click the Apply Button below, to send us your resume & cover letter today!
We can't wait to hear from you!