Can my pet eat that?

It's tempting at Christmas time to sneak a couple of extra treats to your pets, but there are some foods that your pet should definitely avoid at any time. Whilst this list isn't exhaustive, it's a great place to start to know what you should avoid feeding to your pet!

Chocolate & Caffeine

When ingested by pets chocolate and caffeine can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, panting, excessive thirst, hyperactivity, tremors, seizures and can be potentially fatal.


Alcohol can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, decreased coordination, difficulty breathing, tremors, coma and can be potentially fatal.


Avocados contain persin which can cause vomiting and diarrhoea in dogs. Birds and rodents can develop congestion, difficulty breathing and fluid accumulation around the heart.


Ingestion of macadamias can cause weakness, depression, vomiting, tremors and hyperthermia in dogs.



Grapes & Sultanas

Grapes and sultanas contain a toxic substance which can cause kidney failure in animals.

Cooked bones

Cooked bones can splinter when ingested. Bones should only ever be fed raw to pets.

Onions & Garlic

These can cause gastrointestinal upsets and cats are more sensitive to these than dogs. May only cause issues if ingested in large quantities.


Xylitol is a common sweetener and can lead to hypoglycaemia, vomiting, lethargy and loss of coordination.

If your pet does consume any of these foods it's best to contact your vet as soon as possible or the nearest vet emergency centre. You can find more information on the ASPCA Pro website about foods to avoid feeding your pets.